Thursday, February 24, 2011

Choose Your Own Adventure...

Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books ...the ones where you would read a page or two and then it would give you a choice of two directions to take the story? Well, look at this picture I took last night and tell me what turn you think our recent robbery adventure took.... I'll give you a minute to ponder this photo...

Yes, you guessed it. We didn't CHOOSE this adventure, but the pickup was stolen AGAIN, using the original set of keys that were stolen Tuesday night of last week.

John, Kelly, Christopher and Leslie were all home when John discovered it was taken about 8:00 P.M. (JJ and I were in Hutchinson at Scouts). John called us about 8:35 after the cops had left. He was in the back yard and could hear sirens. He told me that he hoped those sirens were the police, chasing down our truck. Unfortunately, it was for our truck but no chase happened.

We don't have all the details but this is what we think happened. The thief drove out of our alley, turned right and made an immediate left. He drove six blocks until he got to the busy street. He tried to cross the busy street but instead hit another car. The pickup ended up on someone's lawn and the car was munched. We aren't sure of the injuries of the two people in the car, but they were taken to the hospital. Hopefully they were just checked at the hospital for a precaution and released. The thief ran from the scene of the accident. JJ and I saw police lights on the busy street when we drove into town about 9:20. By the time we got to where the lights were flashing, both vehicles had been removed and the officers were removing the caution cones out of the middle of the four-lane street. The pickup was hauled to the police station to check for fingerprints and the car was hauled to the body shop. Our pickup is no longer drivable. We were planning on replacing it because the driver's door was falling off, the heater didn't work well, there was rust in the bed, but we were hoping to at least get a few bucks out of it. I don't know that we'll get much now - 50 bucks a ton, maybe.

As an ode to our Big Red truck, here's a song that John loves to sing. He knows every word and it makes me laugh every time he sings it. Enjoy the song, it is truly a funny song (and, to quote my brother, Glen, it's funny 'cuz it's true!) - and think a loving thought about Big Red!

Classifieds by C.W. McCall

4 comments:

Natalie said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? I CANNOT BELIEVE that this happened again! Unbelievable!!! good grief. I'm so sorry, Christine! I'm sure you're handling it well, but it is a violation of your peace and I'm angry for you. I hope it all gets resolved better than expected... you definitely deserve it! :) {HUGS!}

ajwhet10 said...

GREAT SONG! Horrible event! I hope something better than the red pickup truck comes of it!!

Elise said...

So sorry to hear about this adventure - best wishes finding a good replacement!

Salsa Mama said...

Hey, I left you an award on my blog. Just because I love reading about you, and don't feel obligated to do it if you don't want to. :) Hugs!